Friday, June 19, 2015

Please sir, may I have another?

It's easy for some people to view trumpeting your skills as selling yourself, which, let's face it, sometimes can feel like begging. I was raised to be one of those kids who sat quietly at the table and waited to be served our ration of gruel. To share what I can do with the rest of the world sometimes I have to get up from my seat and just ask for it. Sure, you're going to get knocked down. But, I remember years ago when I was doing the local fairs. A friend told me that I may not make a lot of money (I didn't), but at every show there would be something that would happen to bless my efforts. And it did. Someone always came by to tell me my work was different from just some local hack and I should keep going.

That still happens today. Even those days when I don't make a huge splash in the world, if I'm really trying I'll always get a reassurance from someone or some event that I'm doing the right thing, I have something to offer and it's worth continuing.

Please, sir, may I have another?

No comments:

Post a Comment