Saturday, April 29, 2017

Maybe I'm Just A Big Kid


For the last few months I've been visiting schools with the author, Una Belle Townsend, talking about our book, Scanner. Then, in front of an eager audience I get to share one of the most fulfilling activities of my life that, up to now, has also been one of my most private experiences.

In other words, no one has ever cared about the pictures I sit and draw when I just want to relax. Most of the images I've placed on this blog come from that experience. I get up in front of a group of kindergartners or third graders and do a couple of quick, sloppy, silly sketches and they applaud.

They APPLAUD!

The point I always try to make is the thing they like to do when no one is telling them to do it can become their life's work. That is, if they are willing to believe in it and push to learn how to do it well ... all while no one else is pushing them to learn.

Think about it. Right now, I'm a point where I am experiencing a lot of things that should be discouraging me from pursuing my art. They have discouraged me in the past. I've given up again and again only to return to it eventually because I just can't stop drawing silly pictures. But a group of little kids who don't know any better clap for me, hug me and tell me they are going to be illustrators also and I know I am finally doing what I was created to do.

Take that, world!

(By the way, this picture was taken by the Communications Director at Prairie View Elementary in Mustang, OK. It's on the header of their district website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment